Saturday 26 April 2014

Gatsby's guide to getting treats and play time

Hello old sports,

I know. I'm slacking off on the blog posts again, aren't I. It's been a bit of a hectic time since my surgery. Spode had her exams so left me again (no treats for two days. Sucked), and that also meant no computer time for me. But the good news is, Spode is back and finished school for the summer. And whoa! She graduated! As a literary horse, I'm very proud. Disappointed that she only read The Great Gatsby once though. I should write a letter to the department and tell them to put it on more syllabi...

Anyway, the other reason I've not been posting is because I'm sick again. Really sick. My uveitis is back, and this time I can't see out of my left eye. It's never been this bad before, and it frightens me. I feel anxious a lot of the time and I'm having difficulty standing still. And as the nice vet at Caledon explained, my right eye was the one with damage. He said the damage is not so bad--he said I wouldn't be able to read but I'm a horse so I don't need to read small print anyway (everyone laughed when the vet said that. Little do they know, reading is my favourite pastime... Get me some glasses! Or a visit to Dr. T.J. Eckleburg!). So life is not so great right now. I hope my vision returns in that eye but no one knows yet. I'm getting more medication now than I ever thought possible. Eight eye meds a day, plus medication in my food. And I'm stuck inside or in a teeny tiny pen outside when the weather cooperates.

So, how does one make this sad situation work to your advantage? First, use the pity card. I've been getting loads of treats since I'm sick.  Perhaps in part because Spode feels bad she couldn't come and see me during exams. The pity card usually works, but add guilt to the mix and Spode becomes an automatic treat dispenser.

Next, behave for the things that she doesn't expect you to behave for. That also earns you more treats. Example? I let people do whatever they want to my eyes. 8 times a day someone shoves their finger in my eye and I don't do anything. I let Spode do it without a halter, even. I get tons of treats for my good behaviour!

I did not behave when she tried to take me for a walk today though, and she wasn't expecting that. You can hardly blame me though. I've been trapped inside for 2 whole weeks and never even been able to trot! Combine my energy with the fact that I can't see out of one eye, and you've got one hyper horse. I did not hold back on expressing this fact to Spode as she held the rope. She said it was like holding the string of a kite as I leapt into the air repeatedly. Airs above the ground extraordinaire! She was not happy and actually rather frightened. But she scared me, too. I was having so much fun, I kind of forgot she was there... She put her hand on me and I completely flipped my lid. Oops, my bad. I didn't intend to go quite that far in scaring Spode into letting me loose. But it didn't work!! She carefully led me back inside and instead told me I'd probably not be able to go for a walk again unless she sedated me first--at least until I had some more time to adjust to my changing vision. What!? Lucky for me, just as she was telling me this the vet called to discuss my meds. While on the phone, Spode explained how I was behaving and asked if I was allowed to run on my own to try and keep everyone safe. It was decided that the risk of me hitting my head on the wall was not as high as the risk of me hitting Spode's head with a hoof. Yes! I win! But it was really a win for Spode too, as she gets a kick out of watching me kick up my heels.  I guess my ploy worked after all!

And that, old sports, is how you get treats and exercise from your human. I'm such a smarty pants.

And now for the pictures of the party!
First, a nice flying trot--a special treat for Spode's dressage heart..
Then a little running....

And then I got a little faster...

And then I got a little higher.... 

And a little higher still....
WEEEE!


Try and ride that, Spode!






"I believe I can fly" (Yeah, this is what I did while Spode was holding the rope. See? A horse kite)

And I can go even higher!
That felt AWESOME. I'm afraid I did hit the wall just a few times, but I didn't do too badly. I hit it gently, and my eye mask protected me. I also tripped over a pylon twice, but other than that I was okay. I was usually good at judging the distance from the wall with my other eye. Can't wait to do it again tomorrow! Even a half blind horse has got to have some fun. I showed Spode that she had done well by standing still when we came back in the barn and once again letting her poke my eye with her finger. You're welcome, kid. 

As for my eye, there's still no change in my vision. It hurts less though. The vet made her next appointment today for Friday afternoon and she's bringing someone else with her so that even more people can poke around at my eye. Oh joy. 

Until later, old sports. 
In the meantime, I'm going to keep playing!
Jay.

P.S. Spode tells me that you've all been leaving kind messages for my health with her. Thank you all!  Much love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment