Thursday 26 May 2016

Ain't No Party Like a Gatsby Party

Mostly because if this was anyone else's party, I think they would be quite upset! But not me--my day was perfect.
That's right, old sports, I am officially an old sport myself today. I turned 5 today! If I were a human, I'd be 24 years old. Time to leave home and get a job, I think. Nah, I think Spode is always going to baby me. I'm an equine millennial! Plus I'm not sure what kind of a job I'd get. Grass taste tester maybe? Yeah, I could do that...
We are now on grass for the summer. Life is good!
Before I get to my birthday, I also had a big day this past weekend at the first show of the year!
Yes, that also means first bath of the year!

And then Spode put on this ridiculous sheet to keep me clean, which made half of my paddock mates run up to me like I was a new horse. Sheesh, the things I put up with! 
I was so excited to get to the show that I started trotting towards the trailer once Spode put on my shipping boots and unclipped me from the crossties. Yes! Finally get to see some action around here!
Once off the trailer, however, I was a perfect gentleman. Spode was able to tie me up right away rather than walking me around the show grounds to settle me. I was so calm. I took everything in stride and did a fantastic warm up. Alas, the show ring proved a bit too distracting for me so Spode was a bit disappointed in my first test, but the second one went much better since I had seen it already. The judge asked about my eyes and said that when I was fully focused, she thought I was spectacular, so that made it all worth it. Spode was incredibly happy with me.


Obviously Spode and I have spent a lot of the last few weeks prepping for the show, but we've still been able to find time for fun. I don't think Spode has it in her not to goof off with me sometimes.

So far since the show, I've had a day off, a long hack, and my birthday celebrations, so we're definitely in full lazy mode at the moment. Perhaps tomorrow we'll get back to dressage and focus, but we're both pretty content at the moment, old sport. We do like a varied routine!
Well, to a certain extent. I do demand my routine of seeing Spode regularly!
Today Spode came out in the evening to celebrate a late night birthday party with yours truly. I was happy to see her, but admittedly a bit tired! 

Mint juleps will do that to you, but Spode doesn't know about that part of the pre-party... 
I soon perked up once Spode started dolling out the birthday treats though, don't you worry!

I was extremely disappointed to learn that my hat was not also edible.  
Extremely disappointed. 


Alas, Spode did want to do a bit of work despite it being my special day, so today she decided to start teaching me the skills I'll need to go bridleless. I started learning neck reining and pressure with a neck rope. Spode was very impressed! By the end she only had to use the reins for occasional corrections and we were trotting around doing figure eights, circles, and centre lines (no, I could not trot-halt at the show with a bridle, but I had no problem with a neck rope and no saddle. Spode just shakes her head sometimes). 
That was so easy! 

Yes, let's imagine her shirt reads "Gatsby and teach on" that is correct. Spode's raison d'ĂȘtre 
To thank Spode for the good ride and treats, I attempted to help sweep up the barn. 
I could snap this little twig in a heartbeat, you know. You should probably sweep up my mess for me.
This was followed by Spode's laughter and FINALLY my cake. I mean, really, it's all about the cake. Why does it take so long!!? This year's offering was also very meagre, though Spode has promised me there's more in her fridge at home so I guess if we're just extending the birthday joy, that's fine. 
I'm perfecting the art of eating our of a tray. 
And that, old sports, was my day in a nutshell! Alas, no balloons this year due to a lack of helpers. Spode's family has a new dog who I met at the show. She's very cute but certainly takes up a lot of time! Of course, I'm one to talk... I know I steal Spode away for a good chunk of the day every day, so I can't really complain. Especially when I've just had my birthday cake! 

Until later, old sports!

Jay. 






No comments:

Post a Comment