Friday 22 February 2019

Waiting for answers

Hello old sports,

I thought I would give you all a little update. I know, right? Two posts in one month!? Gasp, it's just like the old days before Spode started working in the non-horse world! Spode tells me that people have been wondering how I am, so I figure I owe ya one.

I've been on my course of steroids for about a month now, but they haven't helped me one bit. My respiration rate is still too high and my breathing effort is too evident at the end of the day. Still can't go for a ride with Spode as I start snorting and am unable to hold a trot. I can manage a bit of running in the field sometimes, but not for very long. So I'm coming off of them now and will be finished them in about a week.
I still look pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. 

Originally, we were going to try a second steroid in March, but the vets consulted and don't see the point since the steroid I'm on now made absolutely no difference to me. Instead, the plan of action now is to continue resting (sorry, Spode, still no riding) and return to the hospital in April for a recheck of my lungs. The vet said she is feeling highly doubtful that I can ever return to being ridden now since I didn't respond to the steroids, but the only way to know for certain what is going on in my lungs is to have that chest x-ray again and see what changes are there. Best case scenario would be no changes as it would mean my disease is slow progressing or maybe even stable now. I daren't hope for clear x-rays. The vet didn't think that was in the realm of possibilities, especially as my symptoms haven't changed except to get ever so slightly worse... but I am miraculous in some ways so maybe I will still surprise everyone!

But if there are negative changes, as upsetting as that would be, then it should at least give us a better understanding of what my prognosis and life expectancy will be. If the vets can't see any changes, then they want to do that lung biopsy to see precisely what is going on with my cells and what amount of scarring I have already and if there are any more medications we could possibly try depending on what they find. This biopsy would also definitively tell us whether I can hope to return to work one day or not... if the x-rays don't already provide that answer clearly. If the x-rays have negative changes then the vet said all there is to do is keep me comfortable for as long as we can. The vet suggested that, no matter what they see or don't see, Spode shouldn't get her hopes up that I will be a riding horse again since this has progressed negatively over almost 7 months now despite trying 4 different medications. Still not quite sure how to process that, so let's just wait for April's news, shall we? 

So things are still up in the air, really. Still waiting for clearer answers on what exactly this disease will mean for the rest of my life. Thankfully my favourite regular vet is finally back from his injury as well so maybe he will have some additional ideas when I go to the hospital again.

Spode just finished her half term holiday so we've had a nice vacation together and I've been groomed like crazy. Not that it has left me clean because I go and roll in the mud every day without fail. Hey, I'm just being nice. What else is Spode going to do if she has no mud to clean off of me?! It's been lovely and warm, and the grass is getting a little bit tastier every day. Spring is definitely in the air, and I am content eating my food and enjoying Spode's company. Life is okay, just a little anxiety-provoking at the same time. I let Spode worry about that when she's at home, but we can ignore all the vet notes and research when we're together. We still successfully live in the moment and just enjoy each other's company. That's what really matters anyway, isn't it?

I really, really like my food!

Until later, old sports. I shall update you all in April.

Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment