Monday 11 September 2023

Back to School-Back to Work!

 Hello Old Sports,

It's me. Hi. I'm not the problem, it's Spode.

I know! It's really me! Can you believe it? I haven't put hoof to laptop in ages. I've been living a life of luxury and there's no need to be typing your life away when you're chilling. 

So, it's been about a year. Spode and I are now going ten years plus together. She still can't get it through her head that I need more treats than what she gives me. And old sports, oh have I tried to make it clear. She gives me a teeny tiny handful of treats and she tries to walk away. I grab her shirt, grab my halter, lick the gate, bite the chain... how can she not see the signs of starvation!? She may be able to read between the lines and make inferences reading The Great Gatsby but she sure can't read THIS Gatsby. Sheesh. Ten years of the same message...

You know I'm not eating this gate just because it tastes good, right?

Anyway, aside from my endless struggle for more treats, life is pretty good! I'm still kicking it at Logoff and living with my roommate Sheen. Sheen and I don't always see eye to eye on our living arrangements as he thinks I'm a bit too bossy sometimes, but other times we are quite content to keep the flies off one another. He calls me a shelter hog but what can I say. Sometimes my own butt doesn't even fit in there! 



I do admit to being a big fan hog when it's hot out!

It's round bale season here so I'm thrilled with that. We're using a new strategy this season by nixing the metal feeder and just plopping the hay on the grass. Old sports, I know they tell us not to play with our food, but it is so much fun! I entertained myself by pushing the net all over the place. Right now it's too full again to move but give me a week and it'll be on the move again! Sheen and I have decided we're going to make a new sport out of it. We just need to decide on the rules. I'm thinking 10 points to whoever can successfully push it out of the paddock, and 20 points if you can get part of it over a fence rail. A perfect pony party game. 

It's just a tad too big to roll right now.

When I'm not snoozing, eating, or complaining about treat rations, I'm probably being fussed over by Spode. She's kept me pristine this summer and is currently working on ridding me of my summer coat so my winter hair can come in.

The tail takes a while to tame.
Always worth it in the end!

 I've been going on a fair amount of rides this summer, too, though I started feeling a bit snorty and coughing in late August so it's been a bit quieter now. I'm feeling more normal again but we need some rain to lessen the sand ring dust before Spode wants to start doing more with me. We've had some nice relaxed hacks though! Spode complains that I'm so slow but I just really like to take in my surroundings when we're out back. When I'm out with other horses I have to speed up a bit to keep them in my sight, but when it's just Spode and I, I go as slow as I can. 



Okay, okay. Old sports, I'll let you in on the real reason I go so slowly. If I go slower, I don't have to travel as far. If Spode plans to hack for an hour, you don't need to walk as many kilometres if you slow right down! You're welcome for the top tip, friends! I'm a horse who know how to work less, rest more!

Speaking of resting, I think that's more than enough typing for these hooves. My life of luxury and elite laziness cannot be overtaken by endless blogging again!

So, until later, old sports. 

Jay.  


No comments:

Post a Comment