Monday 9 June 2014

Oops, I did it again

No, I'm not singing a song. I have another eye ulcer. Oops. Spode is scratching her head about how I managed that with my special mask. I'm not too sure myself. In the morning, my eye was fine. A few hours later, it was bad and getting worse. Mrs. Superfantastic Vet said that perhaps my eye is not as strong because of the uveitis, so maybe I'll be prone to little set backs like this. As long as they remain little, I guess I'll manage with that. Spode was not very pleased after we had had such a good week and were finally moving forward with life and my training.
Ow. 

I was like this for a few days. Not a happy camper. Luckily I'm feeling much better now and I'm well on my way to making a recovery. 
So of course I'm back to getting eye meds 10 times a day in my right eye, but tomorrow is the last day for steroids in my left eye. One dose in the morning and then Spode is counting the days to see, finally, if the surgery was a success or not. It's been a long time since my surgery, I know, but this will be the first time I'm off the eye medication so we'll get to see if it worked for me or not. Anything over two weeks will be better than where I was at before and counts as some sort of success.  Of course, if it's two weeks and one day then it wasn't really worth it. But hopefully it'll slow the uveitis down to a reasonable rate. Every two weeks is not really reasonable! Tomorrow is the big day, so cross your hooves!

In an attempt to stop that uveitis from coming up again, I've started on a new medication: horse aspirin. I'll be taking two pills a day for the next several months or so if it works. Again, if I get uveitis in another two weeks then it's not worth keeping me on aspirin either. We'll see. I think Mrs. Vet is just as anxious about this as Spode. By the way, Mrs. Vet's real name is Evangeline, and she is my best buddy. My horsey friends, if you ever need a vet, call her first! Mrs. Vet is off work right now because she's lame (in the physical sense, of course!) and I miss her! A lot! A new vet had to come last week to check me out, and Spode wasn't there either because of her graduation (puh-lease. And that's a good excuse to miss a vet appointment?). I felt kind of abandoned...

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, the aspirin. Well, it stinks something awful. But here's the worst part. Just take a look:
Spode and the vet opened these up at the clinic and they both laughed out loud... 

...I'm not laughing! You want me to swallow that!? I'll take a human sized aspirin, please!
Luckily, Spode isn't making me swallow those. She crushed them up in a coffee grinder. Still tastes kind of nasty, but I get extra food with it, so that's not so bad. Let's hope it works! Spode is now fretting so much about my stomach that I'm also starting on some stomach juice in an attempt to prevent a stomach ulcer. Yikes. Now that would be all I need!

So while I'm on lay up, Spode hasn't been doing much. She cleaned up a lot (much needed!). She discovered she's a spray bottle hoarder.
Does one horse really need so much? It's because you can't collect blankets anymore, isn't it. 

I also got brushed a lot, clipped again, and fussed over, but I'm now going to start doing a bit of light (very light) work. Like today, for instance. Today Spode tacked me up and led me around the arena once. Then she practiced making me stand still while she was on top of the mourning block. Oh so strenuous. 
All dressed up with no place to go. I'm a green machine!
With any luck I'll be back to regular work this weekend. A horse (and Spode) can hope!

Until later, old sports.

Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment