Monday 11 May 2015

Practice Makes Perfect

Well, perfect is probably wishful thinking. Let's call it "Practice Makes Improvement". Yeah, that's better.
Today Spode and her friend decided I should go for an adventure. Even though it was a bit of a rainy day, Spode still dressed me up and got me ready to get on the trailer.
Oh look, another blanket outgrown. Wonderful. My back boots are also looking pretty tiny. 
There is almost always grazing involved when I'm waiting for a trailer. I know this from experience. For a 3 year old horse, I've been on a trailer surprisingly often. This was my 6th trip, but a new trailer to me. To my surprise, this was also the first trip where there was already a horse on board. A girl! It actually wasn't that exciting. I wanted to stop and smell her before getting on but Spode told me that was rude. Once I was on board, we chatted a bit on the trip over and she told me about the place I was going to. I think we'll be taking some more trips together in the future so we can be hacking buddies one day. More adventures await! 

Once I got to my destination, the other horse went into her field and I went into the barn. I was a little nervous since I didn't really understand why I was there. I couldn't figure out if this was my new home or what. I like my home! But just as I was thinking that, Spode started to put on my boots and saddle, which just confused me more. Huh? We came all this way just so you could ride me? Horse people are so weird. 

Once I was tacked up (after hitting my nose on the barn ceiling. Ouch!) Spode walked me around the ring. There was lots and lots for me to look at, but I only had one spook at a mounting ramp. It was just weird looking. But Spode actually ended up getting on me from that thing after trying and failing to get on from the ground. Building a mounting block is now on her to do list, I think. 
Anyway, once Spode was on I was feeling more myself. Up until that point I was pretty jittery if I was asked to stand still. My baby brain was kicking in--I can only use my brain if my feet are moving! 

After a walk around and a little trot, I was good to go and relaxed into our usual routine, albeit with my head up and me looking around a lot more than usual. But according to Spode I was relaxed in my back and wasn't tense. I just wanted to see things. I'm allowed as a 3 yr old, I think! It's a good thing Spode thinks so as well. 
Free walk was not quite as stretchy as at home, but gimme a break! 





We had some good moments, Spode just didn't have my full attention for that long!
Spode ran me through my dressage tests and was quite pleased. A very good day for my first ride away from home! And considering I pretty much got off the trailer, got tacked up, and then ridden in quick succession, hopefully the slower pace of a show will get me more relaxed. Only time will tell! But the weekend is coming up fast!

Check it. I can halt like a pro when I'm on the ball. When I'm fully focused, I'm basically a rockstar. Just wait until I grow up! 
So yes, old sports, I am a wonderful horse and my Spode loved me up big time when I got home. I trailered home quietly all by myself and was quite happy when I poked my head out the window and saw that we were back at Fox Hollow. Ah, home sweet home. 

The rest of my week has been more of the same. I've been schooling a lot more than usual since our show is coming up so fast, but Spode has promised we'll get back to mixing things up more often like we usually do as soon as the show is out of the way. Only 3 more rides to go before the big day thanks to my resting schedule. 
This is my please stop with all the dressage face. Back to hacking please! 
It hasn't been all work and play, not really. We're still working our way up to riding on the shoulder of the road and I've been out in the hay fields a few times in the past couple of weeks. Spode also wants to get back to some ground work and long lining for some variety. 
Cooling out time is a great time to walk along the road! 
In two weeks I should also be going on my first hack away from home-now that'll be exciting! Hopefully it goes as well as today did. Any day that ends with a giant hug from Spode and a handful of treats is well worth it in my books. She promised me an adventure, and I sure got one!

Until later, old sports.

Jay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment