Friday 24 January 2014

Vet Visit #2: Both Eyes Now

You read that right, Old Sports. It's spread to my other eye.  Vet came out today and just before she arrived, Spode took off my mask to reveal a blue uveitis haze in each.  Alas.

On the plus side, my pupils are responding to light changes a little better so I don't have to have my eye messed with quite so many times a day.  Just twice a day now, but it's both eyes so it still feels like a lot to me.

Spode was not very happy to hear the news, especially since the spreading means it's very likely that I have the recurrent form of the disease.  The vet thinks I've had it for a long time but have not shown outward signs until recently.  Don't ask me, I don't know either.  I just know that it's all a bit hazy right now.

I'm scheduled to see Mrs. Vet again in 2 weeks to re-evaluate a second time.  She and Spode talked about surgical implants and that's a possibility down the road if it happens again and everyone's 100% sure that it's recurrent.  Have to make sure there's a vet who's willing to do it first, but Mrs. Vet was pretty sure some French place I couldn't pronounce would do it.  And sooner rather than later.  There's no guarantee it would stop the blindness from coming on, but apparently it has slowed the process down for many horses.  All sounds a bit scary to me, Old Sports, but whatever the humans say.

And that's the news for today.  I was finally allowed back out with my buddies, but everyone is watching me closely to make sure I don't get hurt still being blindfolded on one side, and if either eye gets worse it's back on stall rest for me.  I sure hope not! Tomorrow I get my new uveitis mask for the first time.  I needed a pirate eye patch put on it first, but as soon as the sun comes up, Spode is bringing it out to me. I'm sure she'll take pictures.  I've heard it looks very silly...  No pictures of me today because Spode's fingers were too cold to de-glove (such a whiner).

So here's one from before.  Positive thoughts, Old Sports!

 Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment