Wednesday 31 July 2013

Gatsby's Tip of the Day.

Spode was trying hard to be calm when she came to see me this evening, but I could tell she was frustrated about something.  She said, "Oh Gatsby.  Please be good today. I don't want another fight."  Hmm.  Yeah, she was serious.  I put my head down and smelled her.  Calmer already.  Ok.  Here's my tip: know when you can be silly and get away with it, and know when your owner is serious and tired! Yep, I decided there would be no silliness today at all.  My gift to Spode.  Just this once...

So I put my head in the halter, which I hardly ever do.  I like to make Spode stretch her arms.  She works for therapeutic riding and I know she makes her riders stretch--only fair to make her do it too!
But no stretching today.  Break time for her.

I led nicely to the barn, turned around and stood in the cross ties.  Then I did something really special for her.  She picked up my first foot easily, and when she put it down, guess what I did... I lifted up my next foot before she even asked for it.  Ta da! Spode's day was made. She was so excited.  Once again, I must stress how silly and simple minded humans are.  Can you imagine a horse getting so excited about lifting a leg?  No, you cannot.  It's called horse sense for a reason.

Anyway, so Spode rubbed me all over and fed me treats galore (talk about a win-win). I lifted up each hoof before she asked for it and voila! Spode's stress dissipated.

Well, most of it.  I have a bump on my black leg (my thoroughbred leg?) and Spode is worried about it.  She thinks it might be what she calls a splint.  It actually made her pace.  See? I told you she's a crazy thoroughbred at heart!  But there's nothing we can do and she knows that.  Perhaps that's what bothered her.  She calmed down eventually, hoping that maybe it isn't a splint.  Hmm, we'll see.  I don't know what it is either.

I decided to make her happy again by standing still for fly spraying.  Yep, I sure know how to win a girl's heart.  Spode has been rather frustrated because I let her friend Breanna do it when she was here, but I haven't let her since.  Today was the day.  Yeah, I'm a good horse.  It was another win-win.  More treats for me.

She pat me lots and put my pink ear suit back on, and let me back out.  All I can say is, don't get used to it, Spode.  When you're not feeling so tired and frustrated by other horses' behaviour, I'll be back to my silly self.  She'll appreciate that just as much, I'm sure.


 Until later, Old Sports.
Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment