Friday 20 September 2013

Look, Ma! No hands!! Er, halter.

It's the weekend again, Old Sports! That means it's Spode time! Woohoo!  I tell you, I was so excited to see her yesterday evening, my legs couldn't move fast enough to get to her! I could hardly believe my ears when I heard my name.  I thought she was gone for good.  

I was mostly glad to see her because it meant that someone would finally get these burrs out of my forelock! My locks are substantially shorter now because of them.  Spode was not impressed.  I think she might be going on a burr-cutting mission soon...
Mum! Do you really need to take pictures now??

She practiced getting me to wear my bridle, and then she let me eat.  You can't get a better human! 
Spode, you rock my socks, er, stockings. 
Today she managed to visit before night time, so we managed to do a bit more together.  It was a little scary in the beginning though.  Spode brought me into the barn and there was rock music blaring from the radio.  Loud, loud, loud. I could hardly hear my own hoofbeats, but Spode carried on as usual and put me in the cross ties.  Just as I started to relax, BAM! The stable manager appeared out of nowhere! I very nearly pooped myself.  The humans had a good laugh about it, but I didn't see anything funny in the whole situation.  The stable person (so not Spode, hahaha! Get it?) came over and pat me, so there were no hard feelings.  Then she told Spode that I'm the friendliest horse on the farm, which gave Spode so many warm and fuzzies that even I could feel it. She just said that I needed to pay more attention to my surroundings so I don't get spooked so easily.  I don't know... 

After Spode groomed me, she said I could be a big boy now and put on a bridle like a grown up equine.  She slipped the halter off my nose and then she put the bridle on me, nekkid! I was pretty well behaved for her.  I could see the treats in her hand, so that helped.  Then we took a walk to the sand ring.  I haven't been in there in a couple weeks--we've been running around in the indoor arena instead. The last time I ventured out to the sand ring, I discovered that there were some strange creatures called chickens near the sand ring behind a fence.  Very scary, very. So, as I'm sure you all are expecting by now, I pooped myself.  I did manage to go to the sand ring without running Spode over or turning her into a rag-doll, so no harm done. Then she let me loose and admired me (come on, she did name me Gatsby, after all.  What did you expect? She always loved him!)  
Yes, my forelock is quite dashing because it's windswept, I know.  Get those stars out of your eyes. 

“Gatsby. He had a grand vision of his life since he was a little boy.”

Ok,  really.  You can stop now. 

After Spode had her fill of admiring me, she decided to try something new.  She let me wander around for a bit and see the sights, but then she came over and pet me.  She said "walk on", and started moving forwards without a lead rope.  Naturally, I followed.  Then she said "whoa", and I stopped.  Lots of patting. She then started jogging and said "trrrot!"  I jogged along behind her and followed her path perfectly.  She was thrilled! She said I will still have to wear a lead rope, but she's glad that I listen even without it.  No halter for me, no hands for her! We make a good team. 



Spode decided to let me stay in the sand ring while she went back to pick up my accident I had on the way.  She said she'd be right back, and she was only out of my sight for a second, but I whinnied for her and ran.  I admit.  I'm a fraidy cat when I'm alone.  Not only is Spode a rag-doll, she is also a security blanket. 

She came back soon enough and then we went back to my pasture.  I thought we were done for the day, but then she returned with my dinner.  It smelt a little funny, but it still tasted good.  As I was eating, she explained that there was a supplement inside this time that would make my hooves, coat, and skin healthier.  Horse vitamins.  Apparently this is just the start.  All these arrived yesterday:
Aw, Jesus. Seriously Spode?  
Yeah... so I guess I'll be on supplements for a while. They actually taste okay so I don't mind too much.  And I've had Chill before, for my trailer ride.  Yum.

Anyway, that's all I have for today.  Who knows what we'll get up to tomorrow.  Her goal is to get me ground driving well enough that I can go on the trails eventually, but the arena is full of hay at the moment, so I'm not quite sure what's in the books for tomorrow. Personally, I'd like to have a day of eating grass.  We'll see if Spode and I can work something out.

Until later, Old Sports.

Jay.

2 comments: