Friday 27 September 2013

Ugh, Barn Gossip is the Worst.

Jeez, a horse can't get away with anything around here! It's a lot like school, from what Spode tells me.  Here I was thinking I could party and be a right hooligan all week while Spode was gone, but then the stable manager came in today and blabbed! 

Spode figured something was up already, to be fair, because I didn't eat my treats right (yeah, she's pretty observant of my behaviour...).  I picked them up with my lips instead of grabbing them with my teeth.  Cue Spode shoving her hand into my mouth to check out my teeth.  Yes, mum, they're all still there.  Haven't lost my baby teeth yet! Anyway, since there was no obvious sign of damage, Spode continued to worry.  She checked the barn book but although my name was mentioned, nothing was written in there of any concern. Just changes to my diet, which Spode was the cause of anyway. (Grrrr).
Did you just say cut back my food? But I'm starrrvving! 
But that was yesterday.  Today Spode brought me into the barn, said hi to the barn manager, and took me to my cross ties. Alas, the barn manager came over and said that she is getting the impression that I like people more than I like horses.  I'm covered in bites at the moment.  I'm a wuss.  Like horse like owner?  If you think about it, Spode likes the company of horses more than people, so I'm just a mirror of her, right? I like the company of humans better than horses!

It didn't end there.  It got worse.  The stable manager made it into a negative by telling Spode that I am at the gate like a shot every time someone goes to get their horse from our shared paddock.  I thought we were keeping that a secret!! Not that Spode can do anything about it. 

Yep, there's more.  She also told Spode that I was discovering my strength.  Uh oh.  No, don't tell her this story, please!! But the stable manager ignored my plea, and out the story came: After a horse buddy left the paddock, I pushed on the latched gate wanting to follow.  Suddenly, the gate snapped open and out I fell.  On my face.  Yeah, apparently I'm big enough to take the hook out of the post that latches the gate.  The gate swung open and I had no support, so down I went.  How embarrassing...  

Spode wasn't too impressed. She told me off while she groomed me and waited for the farrier to arrive for the third trim of my life.  I'm lucky she doesn't hold grudges. 

The farrier visit went well.  My feet look great, but Spode didn't get any pictures because I was too impatient to get my dinner and get out of the barn.  Tomorrow, she promised.  They look almost normal now.  Mr. Farrier is pleased.  And he gave me a new nickname: The Gat Man! I like it. 

I'm as healthy as a horse...and as strong as one.  

Plans for the weekend include going for a walk in the field for the first time and some more ground driving. Argh.  Maybe Spode will change her mind and let me eat grass instead.  A horse can hope, right?


Until later, Old Sports.

Jay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment