Monday 16 December 2013

Good as Gold, except for one minor detail...

I think I made Spode's week with my behaviour today.  I was an angel in the cross ties (for once).   Spode has been getting after me for wanting to have my face in her face all the time, so now she wants me to keep my neck moderately straight while I stand.  So dull.
What's the point? Ugh. 
Anyway, I was very agreeable today and just stood like she asked.  To make her life even better, I also didn't move when she put my surcingle on me, even though it's been weeks since we've done any proper training.  This is the recipe for a happy Spode. The cherry on top? Shoving my head into the bridle as fast as my clyde nose could go.  I opened my mouth so wide that I surprised her.  Gatsby for the win, Old Sports!

We went on our way to the arena and Spode "hitched me up" to the lunge lines.  We had a very pleasant time going through our paces.  Walking, diagonals, whoaing with nary a pull on the lines, and trotting without skipping a beat.  Perfection.  Sure, I was a little drunk on a couple of the diagonals, but otherwise I was great.  I also stood perfectly still while she released me from the lines, which usually makes me a little impatient...

So, Old Sports, I was doing great and totally in Spode's good books.  Striker was also an angel, so we were making her day together.  Spode fed me my warm dinner, and then led me out to the pasture.  Now, Spode knows that the first thing I like to do after I eat dinner is take a big swig of water.  She usually takes off my halter, gives me a treat, and I'm off.  Today, however, Shiraz was at the gate pulling faces, so Spode decided to give me treats before she took the halter off in case I ran away as soon as she unbuckled it.  Hmmm.  So Spode gave me a treat, and I started to walk off.  I barely even realized that I still had a Spode attached to me.  I did hear her say whoa! but I had my belly set on that water! Spode eventually had to let go because the gate was still open, so off I went to the water with my rope dragging between my feet, and Spode running after me to try and catch up.  Oops! But Spode, you should just be thankful I didn't break anything! 

Luckily my earlier behaviour was so good that Spode still smooched me good bye.  Phew! Close call.  

Until later, Old Sports.

Jay. 


No comments:

Post a Comment