Monday 26 August 2013

But Why Do I Have to Wear this Belt?

Yawn.  I have had a few busy days lately! I'm a tired boy.  Sorry all, for not being on top of things.  You must be feeling like Gatsby's guests when they arrived to find no parties after Daisy and my namesake finally got back together.  Don't worry, I'll get this party started again.

Spode got rid of my feathers again, and yet again I have a hack job on all 4 legs.  The clipper situation is desperate, as they are only just semi-functional on the closest setting. It took 2 hours to do all 4 pasterns up to the fetlocks, and my white legs now have a distinct pink hue. There are fewer clipper marks, I'll give Spode that, but I am practically bald now.  I'll be so embarrassed when the farrier comes to visit tomorrow.  I have a feeling Spode might be a touch embarrassed too.
Oh sure, you can't tell what a disaster they are at all! 
I also got the hairs of my chinny-chin-chin trimmed too.  There was a lovely pile of black and white stubble left all over the barn floor. 

The next day, Spode got out the saddle, bridle, and boots again.  I stood perfectly still, even better than last time.  And I didn't high step out of the barn quite as badly.  I've learned to live with boots.  Much to Spode's glee, I've also recently agreed to stand like any other horse to be fly sprayed, AND I eat apples.  Spode and I are both much more excited by the apple eating! 

Anyway, back to what I was saying...  I got all dressed up and then taken to the sand ring. Spode let me loose and I immediately did this:
 She actually wanted me to run around though, so I obliged.  I had completely forgotten about my big belt holding on the saddle, so that surprised me. I bucked a few times but I'm a smart horse: I know with that belt that the saddle isn't budging.
 

After the initial shock I settled down and just ran around when Spode asked.

 I made Spode laugh because I just kept trotting around in this way.  She yelled to me that she didn't want a western pony, but I don't understand what she means by that... She did say that she was pleased to see me rounding my back, whatever that means!
Mum, can we please stop now?
Spode let me eat for a bit after that, and then she put me back in my paddock.  Much to my surprise, she came out to play with me that evening, too.  A double date? Fantastic!  This time she worked on leading again.  I was silly the first time she asked me to trot. She made me back up, and we tried again. I learnt my lesson and was perfect for her the rest of the time.  I walked, halted, backed up, and trotted a full circle and long side beside Spode.  I even did a quarter turn on the haunches both sides.
We finished our second play date by walking down a trail to another ring and eating some grass.  Well, Spode did not partake in the eating grass part of the day, but she did have a bite of apple with me!

Tomorrow the farrier is coming, so I'm sure I'll be putting my hooves on buckets again in preparation.  Oh joy.

After that, I'll be ready for my big moving day! Six more sleeps!

Until later, Old Sports.

Jay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment