Saturday 10 August 2013

I'm Just Trying to Get Your Attention!


“She didn’t like it,” he said immediately.
“Of course she did.”
“She didn’t like it,” he insisted. “She didn’t have a good time.”
He was silent, and I guessed at his unutterable depression.
“I feel far away from her,” he said. “It’s hard to make her understand.”
-Chapter 6, The Great Gatsby


My namesake was in love with a girl named Daisy.  Poor Old Sport.  I'm pretty happy with my Spode, too, and so I was reminded of this scene from The Book today.  Spode has been so busy theses past couple of days I've barely been able to see her.  So I decided to try some things...

I put my plan into action as soon as she came in the driveway.  I was looking pretty good--fairly clean, and my pink rag of a suit/fly mask was on properly.  But, when she came to get me, it was on like this!
Yes? What??
Spode laughed and snuggled and said, "silly Jay, the point is to stop you from getting sunburn! Stop trying to tan!"  We went walking and did some more work on trotting (I got this!! I do!)  I had a brief time in the barn with her but it was a super fast grooming.  She put hoof moisturizer on me (yes, I am a fancy boy)


And then she discovered my second trick.  I have brought something back from her past....Oh god, I can't resist: hehem, "Can't repeat the past? Why of course you can!" Here's to you, Fitzgerald.  Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah, my second trick. 

Hock sores.  Exact same kind as her Zoodles used to get.  Cue Spode's stress.  She's started pacing (again) and worrying herself that she was doing something wrong to cause sores for both of us.  She's still pondering about it right now, if I know Spode.  That was the plan.  I'd force her to worry about me so she'd spend more time with me! Except my plan did not exactly pan out. 

She put me straight back into my paddock after my time in the barn, and she knows that I hate that. Ugh.  I like to do things. I like to eat or go for walks, or check out the weird stuff we find around the farm.  But no, she said she had to go and I needed to go home right away. I put up a fuss but that didn't change her mind. 

Today she found me like this:

Yes?  What??
Spode sighed again and just fixed my mask.  She doesn't want a golden boy, obviously ("Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold." Oh wait, wrong book. Sorry Fitzgerald)  I admit that I do have a slight tendency to burn as soon as the sun comes out.  I just want attention!

Spode left me after she adjusted my suit, and then she went to play with that other crazy beast, Willie.  By the time she was done with him she had no time left for me.  So sad.  "It's hard to make her understand." Oh Gatsby, how true.  Let us share in our sadness and extraordinary gift for hope. All she did today was give me a hug and some treats, and then she said that she'll be gone most of the day tomorrow, and next weekend she's gone again! This sucks! And in a few weeks she said she's going back to school.  I don't know what it means but it doesn't sound good.

So I'm a bit glum today, Old Sports.  I want my Spode all to myself.  Soon, I hear, I'll be moving house and she promises that I'll be her one sole focus when that time comes. That's what Fitzgerald's Gatsby wanted from Daisy. “Your wife doesn’t love you,” said Gatsby. “She’s never loved you. She loves me.”  An American Dream. 

Until later, Old Sports.

Jay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment