Thursday 15 August 2013

Gatsby and Spode Go Together Like....Gatsby and Daisy!

It's been an exciting few days, Old Sports!

I finally braved the world on the other side of the barn and made it all the way to the annex ring, past the scary tractors, cars, dogs, and house. It was a big day.  The last time Spode tried to get me to walk to the other side of the barn, I reared and hurt her hand.  No problems this time! I trust my Spode.  I no longer feel the need to have a horse in my eye sight at all times in order to feel safe.  I'm past that stage now.

It really wasn't so bad.  The grass was quite pleasant, actually! Yum. There were a few scary things though... These colourful things were spread out around the ring. I was cautious but they didn't move, so no big deal. Spode says one day I'll have to go over them.  Yeah, we'll see about that. 
Always keep one ear on the jump, folks!
That was yesterday.  I also walked back to my paddock without stopping once, so that made Spode's day! It was the least I could do after she let me have so much grass...
Yummmmm

Today Spode's mum came to see me.  She decided to try leading me, which was odd for me.  I kept turning around to look at Spode.  When we got in the barn, Spode stopped and her mum tried to bring me ahead, but I just kept walking sideways trying to see what Spode was up to.  Yep, I'm attached.  Spode's mum said I had a problem.  I think she'll have to come and lead me occasionally to make sure I don't become a one girl horse!  It would be fitting though, since Fitzgerald's Gatsby was certainly a one-girl person! Daisy=Spode.  

They both tried to feed me a mint because I'm supposed to like Mint Juleps, as in The Book. But it was too strong.  I spit it out about 5 times and Spode just kept picking it up again.  No, I am not a peppermint loving horse... Yuck. Take me to the grass, please!


Spode worked on fly spray (I was great!) and bringing my hooves forward in preparation for the farrier.

Ok, I did it.  Now do you love me? 'Cause I love you!
And much to Spode's surprise, she found a belly spot on me today! I don't know how she missed it.  It's right near my front legs, and she was always looking back from there instead of forward.  But there it is!  She's happy now.  I really do have lots of colour! She loves Sabino!
I have a lucky knee AND a lucky armpit! 
After that discovery, we had a grand old time trotting around the sand ring on my lead rope.  I was even allowed to eat some grass when we were done.  Perfect day.  Unfortunately Spode is leaving again this weekend.  I'll miss her.  Can't wait to see her again on Sunday! I'm so worried about this "back to school" she keeps mentioning...

Until later, Old Sports.

Jay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment